LS Power History
Since its formation in 1990 as a two person start-up, LS Power has maintained its entrepreneurial spirit, often identifying market trends before others, successfully competing with incumbents, and developing innovative approaches to meet the needs of our customers.
- 1990 - 2000: Identifying opportunity amid power market deregulation, LS Power Development develops its first nine utility-scale natural gas-fired power generation facilities, with combined capital cost in excess of $2.9 billion.
- 1998 - 2001: Anticipating an eventual overbuild of power generation facilities, LS Power Development successfully divests the entirety of its generation fleet, while retaining its development, construction and management team.
- 2000 - 2007: Anticipating higher natural gas prices and customer demand for base load generation, LS Power Development’s activities are reoriented toward developing efficient and environmentally compliant coal plants. These activities ultimately culminated in the construction of two facilities with a capital cost in excess of $3 billion.
- 2005 - present: Anticipating the opportunity to purchase power generation assets at prices that LS Power expected to be attractive in the wake of the overbuild of power generating capacity earlier in the decade, LS Power Equity Advisors raises $6.36 billion of equity capital through its private equity investment funds.
- 2005 - present: The private equity investment funds managed by LS Power Equity Advisors have acquired over 24,000 MW of power generation assets to date.
- 2009 - present: LS Power Development develops, finances and initiates construction on six utility-scale projects including solar photovoltaic, high-voltage transmission and natural gas-fired generation totaling over $3 billion in capital investment.